Community stepping up to help a family who lost everything in a heater house fire

Community stepping up to help a family who lost everything in a heater house fire

Jacksonville,FL. — A family that lost everything last week is now beginning to get some much needed help from strangers across Duval County.

After our story first aired on Action News Jax Friday morning, a generous viewer reached out to Action News Jax reporter, Meghan Moriarty, to help the family get back on their feet.

The man, who wanted to remain anonymous, brought the family a new generator and warm clothing after they lost everything.

Content Continues Below

“I was awakened by somebody knocking on my door,” Walter Anderson said. “Then, a few moments later, I heard them screaming ‘fire, fire.’”

All the damage was caused by a space heater. It started inside Adrian Singleton’s bedroom. He is cousins with the other men in the home. The Jacksonville Fire Rescue Department said there was a blanket that was too close to the heater.

Despite the damage, the cousins have still been sleeping in the home. They told Moriarty it’s because they have nowhere else to go, which is why the support means so much.

The family has since set up a GoFundMe for anyone who feels inclined to help and donations have been pouring in. (Fundraiser by Walter Anderson : House fire (gofundme.com).