JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — A Jacksonville Sheriff’s Officer accused of sending explicit images of himself to teen boys is now facing federal charges, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
>>> STREAM ACTION NEWS JAX LIVE <<<
Alejandro Carmona-Fonesca, 47, of Green Cove Springs, is now facing charges that include:
- One count of using a minor child to produce sexually explicit images
- Two counts of attempting to use a minor child to produce sexually explicit images
- One count of attempted online enticement of a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity
For each of the first three counts he faces, Carmona-Fonesca faces between 15 to 30 years in federal prison; for the fourth count, he faces between 10 years to life in federal prison.
Carmona appeared in court on Thursday and was ordered to be held until his trial.
[DOWNLOAD: Free Action News Jax app for alerts as news breaks]
Action News Jax first told you in March when the Clay County Sheriff’s Office announced the arrest of Carmona-Fonesca. CCSO said it got a tip in February 2022.
According to CCSO, the officer befriended the teen boy at My Time Fitness in Green Cove Springs last year.
Detectives say the victim told them Carmona-Fonesca had promised to give him “workout advice.” Police say Carmona-Fonesca asked the teen to be friends with him on Snapchat. That’s when police say he started asking for shirtless pictures of the boy and began sending explicit images of himself.
[SIGN UP: Action News Jax Daily Headlines Newsletter]
Action News Jax also reported in April when another teen boy came forward to police saying that Carmona-Fonesca had sent explicit photos to him as well.
In addition to prison time, Carmona-Fonesca faces a fine of up to $1 million and a possible life term of supervised release.
This case was investigated by CCSO and Homeland Security Investigations. This case was brought to court as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse.
- New charges filed for Jacksonville officer accused of sending lewd photos to minor
- ‘Dark trail’ leads to arrest of Jacksonville officer accused of sending nude photos to minor
- Action News Jax investigates employee file of JSO officer facing felony charges
- Affidavit: JSO officer accused of sending nude photos to teen has long history of formal complaints
- INVESTIGATES: Woman speaks about previous run-in with officer accused of sending nude images to teen
Click here to download the free Action News Jax news and weather apps, click here to download the Action News Jax Now app for your smart TV and click here to stream Action News Jax live.