JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — An empty oceanfront property along the Jacksonville Beach boardwalk will soon be turned into a boutique hotel, a restaurant, retail and office space.
Surfside Holdings LLC is redeveloping the 25,000-square-foot, two-story building located at 221 1st St. north of the Seawalk Pavilion and across the street from Surfer the Bar.
Right now, demolition is underway and construction is scheduled to begin shortly thereafter.
Walter Mason is the vice president of real estate for 221 Surfside Holdings. He said they hope to bring life back into the area.
"The boardwalk is dead," Mason said. "It's kind of a blighted area and we like to invest where we live and make it beautiful."
According to the website, the mixed-use development aims to anchor Jacksonville Beach's central business district and be a destination for tourists, as well as an exciting community hub for locals.
- Pennsylvania man sought in deaths of stepmom, 10-year-old half-brother spotted in St. Johns County
- Photos: Car slams into store in Murray Hill
- Todd Chrisley, wife indicted by federal grand jury on tax evasion charges
- VIDEO: Mysterious fog leaves passengers on Jacksonville flight shaken
- One-of-a-kind indoor sports facility planned for St. Johns County
- Teen robbed after meeting someone online to buy an iPhone in Jacksonville
- Photos: Local students on their first day of school for 2019-2020 school year
"This property has so much history and in an effort to revitalize Jacksonville Beach, we are committed to its redevelopment," says Jean Bakkes, CEO of SkyENTERPRISES. "We share in the privilege and responsibility to invest in the area we live and we're excited to share our vision with the community."
The ground floor of 221 Surfside will include a 3,000+-square-foot restaurant space, as well as two retail spaces. Both retail bays face the boardwalk.
Office space includes 8,000+ square feet of professional space and 6,000 square feet of co-work space.
Walker said they are currently taking inquiries from potential tenants.
If all goes as planned, it's slated to open late summer 2020.
To stay up to date on the development and for more information regarding tenants, click here.
Cox Media Group