GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. — The Glynn County Board of Commissioners called a mandatory evacuation Thursday morning for residents.
The evacuation is ordered for Evacuation Zone A, which is all areas east of Interstate 95 in addition to Blythe Island and Oak Grove Island.
The order is effective at 7 a.m. Thursday in anticipation of Hurricane Matthew.
Residents in this area should evacuate immediately, officials said.
Residents needing to utilize the Need-a-Ride program should report to one of the following locations:
- Mary Ross Park, 1500 block, Bay St., Brunswick, GA
- Lanier Plaza, 1919 Glynn Ave., Brunswick, GA (ONLY PET FRIENDLY LOCATION)
- Glynn Place Mall, Mall Blvd., Brunswick, GA
- United Pentecostal Church, 5608 New Jesup Highway, Brunswick, GA
- Harris Teeter, 600 Sea Island Rd., St. Simons Island, GA
- Bay Harbor Church of God, 3210 Highway 82, Brunswick, GA
Loading will begin at 9 a.m. Thursday and buses will depart by noon or when full.
The following Red Cross shelters are open:
- Hephzibah Children's Home, 6601 Zebulon Rd., Macon, GA
- First Baptist Church, 400 Main St., Moultrie, GA
- Swainsboro Rec. Dept., 632 McLeod Bridge Rd., Swainsboro, GA
- Park Avenue Methodist Church, 100 E. Park Ave., Valdosta, GA
- Peach County Fire Station 6, 1770 U S Hwy. 341, Fort Valley, GA
- Trinity on the Hill United Methodist Church, 1330 Monte Sano Ave., Augusta, GA
Related stories on ActionNewsJax.com:
- St. Johns County mandatory evacuation order now includes entire city of St. Augustine
- Jacksonville mayor says residents in zones A and B need to evacuate or will be on their own
- Wet, wild and weird: Some answers about Hurricane Matthew
- Hurricane Matthew: Here's how to use the internet when you don't have access to the internet
- Five hacks to keep your smartphone charged during a power outage
Cox Media Group