• Officials identify man who paid for David Ortiz hit

    By: Cox Media Group National Content Desk

    Updated:

    Officials in the Dominican Republic have identified the man who they said paid a hit man to shoot David Ortiz.

    Albert Miguel Rodríguez Mota was said to be the man who paid for the hit against Ortiz, The Associated Press reported.

    A judge was holding a closed-door hearing for another suspect, known as “Bone,” whose real name is Gabriel Alexánder Pérez Vizcaíno. Officials said he was the go-between the alleged hit men and the man who paid them, according to the AP.

    Gabriel Alexander Pérez Vizcaino, alias "Bone," behind wearing a helmet, a suspect in the shooting of former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, is taken to court in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Monday, June 17, 2019.
    Gabriel Alexander Pérez Vizcaino, alias "Bone," behind wearing a helmet, a suspect in the shooting of former Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, is taken to court in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, Monday, June 17, 2019.
    AP Photo/Roberto Guzman

    The pair is suspected of meeting a week before Ortiz was shot, CNN reported.

    Police said Jose Eduardo Ciprián ordered the shooting from behind bars in a Dominican prison, CNN reported.

    Ortiz was shot in the back while he attended a nightclub in Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic and Ortiz’s hometown, The Washington Post reported.

    >> Read more trending news 

    He had emergency surgery on the island nation, then was flown to Boston where he is recovering at Massachusetts General Hospital, the Post reported

    So far 10 people have been detained. Those being held include the suspected gunman and the motorcycle driver suspected of taking him to the nightclub, according to the Post.

    Next Up: