NOAA predicts above-normal hurricane season

NOAA's GOES-16 satellite captured Hurricane Idalia approaching the western coast of Florida while Hurricane Franklin churned in the Atlantic Ocean at 5:01 p.m. EDT on August 29, 2023.

Hurricane season officially starts on June 1 and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said 2024 will be an above-normal season for storms.

>> Read more trending news

NOAA released its predictions Thursday morning saying that there will be an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of near-normal and only a 5% chance of a below-normal season.

The agency said there will be between 17 and 25 named storms that will have winds of 39 mph or higher with eight to 13 becoming hurricanes with minimum winds of 74 mph. Of those, four to seven will be major hurricanes — category 3, 4 or 5 with wind speeds of 111 mph or higher.

The prediction is only for the number of storms, not whether they will make landfall, NOAA said. It will be updated in August, before what has traditionally been the peak of hurricane season.

Why so many storms?

It can all be attributed to near-record ocean temperatures in the Atlantic and reduced trade winds along with less wind shear while the Pacific has La Nina conditions.

What names will the storms have?

The World Meteorological Organization has lists of names that are used on a six-year cycle. This year the list starts with Alberto and ends with William.

Hurricane names for 2024

RELATED: NOAA forecasting ‘above normal’ hurricane season in its 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook

RELATED: Colorado State University forecasting well above average hurricane season


Follow Action News Jax Meteorologists on Twitter for updates: Mike Buresh | Garrett Bedenbaugh | Corey Simma |

LISTEN: Mike Buresh ‘All the Weather, All the Time’ Podcast

INTERACTIVE RADAR: Keep track of the rain as it moves through your neighborhood

Comments on this article