FLORIDA — Rick Myers is in his early 60s. He has severe dementia, but recently became a survivor of COVID-19.
His family attributes video chats to part of his speedy recovery, as well as the incredible hospital staff at a hospital in Tampa.
For live updates on the coronavirus, click here.
Interactive map: Florida’s COVID-19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard | Interactive Map: Coronavirus cases around the world
Right now, there are more than 580,000 people in Florida living with Alzheimer’s disease, according to the Alzheimer’s Association.
A big fear for the those vulnerable seniors is the negative effects of social isolation due to COVID-19 restrictions on visitation at nursing homes.
Project: VITAL, started by the Alzheimer’s Association, will deliver senior-friendly tablets (with technology provider iN2L) to nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
Technology meant to connect families with their loved ones during a time when nursing homes are on lockdown. On FOX30 at 10--the senior living facilities in NE Florida that will soon roll this out @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/8BQ5xjVxJI— Meghan Moriarty (@MeghanANjax) May 3, 2020
There will be two tablets delivered per facility, but each resident gets to create an individual profile. The profile will allow them to add a picture and contact information for family and friends.
150 tablets have been distributed to communities across Florida thus far, eight of which are here in Northeast Florida.
Here is the complete list:
- Osprey Village 48 Osprey Village Drive, Fernandina Beach, Florida 32034
- Matthew Barger Seagrass Village Fleming Island, 1949 East West Parkway, Fleming Island, FL 32003
- San Jose Health & Rehabilitation, 9355 San Jose Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32257
- Lanier Rehabilitation Center, 12740 Lanier Road, Jacksonville FL 32226
- Benton House of Oakleaf, 417 Oakleaf Plantation Pkwy, Jacksonville, FL 32222
- Consulate of Orange Park, 1215 Kingsley Ave, Orange Park, Florida 32073
- Benton House of St. Johns, 115 Benton Lane, St. Augustine, FL 32092
- Starling at San Jose, 9075 San Jose Blvd, Jacksonville, FL, 32257
© 2020 Cox Media Group