JACKSONVILLE, Fla — The future of Dr. Diana Greene, the superintendent of Duval County Public Schools, hangs in the balance this week as the school board discusses her fate on Wednesday. However, some community leaders are organizing a rally in support of her tomorrow outside the DCPS headquarters.
Katie Hathaway, a DCPS parent, is one of the rally’s organizers. The group hopes to save the job of Dr. Greene, who they believe has done fantastic work in Duval schools.
“She was superintendent of the year, she was a top ten finalist for national superintendent of the year last year, and Dr. Greene, like I said, she is a very strong leader for public education, and we’ve been really lucky to have her here, leading us in Duval county,” Hathaway said.
Dr. Greene’s future is in jeopardy after the arrest of a Douglas Anderson teacher for a yet-to-be-disclosed charge and the district’s failure to report prior allegations of abuse against him to certain state agencies.
After the state board of education questioned the district, DCPS School Board Chairwoman Kelly Coker issued a statement calling it “appalling” that district leadership knew of the allegations as early as 2021, two years prior to the teacher’s arrest for kissing a student.
Dr. Greene will face scrutiny from the DCPS school board at a special meeting on Wednesday. Although her contract isn’t up until 2025, she could be terminated early. Hathaway says Dr. Greene’s removal would be beyond detrimental and premature.
“This is causing nothing but chaos right now,” Hathaway said.
The fate of Dr. Greene and the future of Duval County Public Schools will be determined at Wednesday, April 26 meeting.
This is the email that is circulating among her supporters:
- ‘Everything on the table’ for DCPS superintendent, Dr. Diana Greene
- State questions Duval County Public Schools over-reporting of arrested Douglas Anderson teacher
- Arrested Duval teacher kissed student, told her of ‘intoxicating’ feelings for her, warrant says
- ‘It’s terrifying:’ Jacksonville teacher facing felony charges for alleged lewd conduct with student
- Douglas Anderson teacher accused of lewd conduct ‘involving a student’ submits retirement, DCPS says
- Former Douglas Anderson students, staff demanding accountability and transparency amid investigation
- Duval school board members discuss investigations after teacher-involved Douglas Anderson incidents