FLORIDA — UPDATED 7/23/2020 - No fall sports until Aug. 24.
The Florida High School Athletic Association made the decision on Thursday. This decision trumps any local decision unless the schools want to withdraw from the association.
ORIGINAL STORY 7/22/2020 - Some school districts in and around Northeast Florida are calling a timeout for fall sports because of COVID-19 concerns.
Despite the Florida High School Athletic Association vote Monday to let fall sports start practice Monday, school districts like Clay County are reevaluating their plans.
The Clay County School District decided to postpone the start date of fall sports until further notice, but teams can continue conditioning workouts.
The public school districts in St. Johns County and Columbia County pushed back the practice start date to Aug. 17 and no games until at least Aug. 31.
The Nassau County Public School District said a decision on the fall sports timeline is expected Thursday.
Here’s a breakdown of where local school districts stand when it comes to starting fall sports:
- CLAY COUNTY: Clay County District Schools will be pushing back the start date of fall sports. A spokesperson for the school district said the team is working hard to give everyone an official start date as soon as possible. Until the official start date, Fall Sports will be permitted to continue workouts under the District’s Phase 3 guidelines of the Athletics Smart Restart Plan. Bands and other extracurriculars are also allowed to continue their practices under the Phase 3 guidelines.
- DUVAL COUNTY: The Director of Athletics for the Duval County Public School District is meeting with the chairwoman of the FHSAA’s Sports Medicine Advisory Committee this week to discuss fall sports. Currently, DCPS is still in Phase II of its “Return to Activity” and the school district is working on a modified Phase III plan.
- ST. JOHNS COUNTY: The St. Johns County Public School District is pushing back the fall practice start date to Aug. 17 and no contests before Aug. 31.
- NASSAU COUNTY: The Nassau County Public School District says its leadership team is still considering whether or not to let our fall sports begin on July 27. A spokesperson for the school district said they should be making a decision and an announcement Thursday.
- PUTNAM COUNTY: Action News Jax is waiting on a response.
- BAKER COUNTY: The Baker County School District is currently working on scheduling fall sports events. Once finalized, we will publicize the schedules on the Baker County High School website.
- COLUMBIA COUNTY: The Columbia County School District is pushing back the fall practice start date to Aug. 17 and no contests before Aug. 31.
- BRADFORD COUNTY: The Bradford County School District is following the guidelines of the FHSAA and will continue to monitor the situation.
- UNION COUNTY: The Union County School District is following the guidelines of the FHSAA and will start fall practices Monday.
© 2020 Cox Media Group