JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Action News Jax obtained from a source an unredacted arrest report for a man accused of running into a Republican voter registration tent in Jacksonville on Saturday.
According to a portion of the report, Gregory Timm said he ran into a Republican voter registration tent because someone had to take a stand and that and “he did not like Donald Trump.”
- He willingly showed police two videos on his phone, one of him driving towards the tent.
- An unredacted portion of the report also says Timm was upset because one of the videos ended before “the good part” -- him striking the tent.
- One of the videos shows people standing in front of the tent, but the video cuts out before the tent was hit.
- He told police he does not like Donald Trump and that is part of the reason he wanted to run over the tent.
Here is what we know about Timm:
- Gregory Timm has lived in Jacksonville for 2 years.
- Timm is not registered to vote in the State of Florida.
- He has no criminal history in Duval County.
- Timm was charged with 2 counts of aggravated assault on a person 65 years or older, criminal mischief and driving with a suspended license.
- In 2019, Timm worked for IATSE Local 115, they were referring him work around North Florida.
- The police report said a witness told police he did not show any emotion, recorded the aftermath of the incident and gave an obscene gesture.
- Mayor Lenny Curry said he believes this is politically motivated.
WATCH Action News Jax reporter Bridgette Matter’s full story in the video above.
Duval County Republican Party leaders addressed the incident Monday.
“What’s clear is, this individual drove up to a tent and was clearly registering voters with Donald Trump’s name and attire around them. And drove a vehicle at volunteers that’s what we know, looks pretty political to me,” Curry said.
The Chairman for the Republican Party of Duval County said they are outraged and are reviewing and refining security.
Daniel Henry, Chairman of the Duval County Democratic Party, released a statement Monday about the attack saying in part quote:
"We hope the Duval GOP will join us in asking our fellow citizens to act with dignity, civility and respect for one another during this election cycle and beyond. Acts of violence shouldn’t be politicized.”
Gregory Timm’s roommate speaks out about the suspect:
The man who owns the home where Gregory Timm was living spoke only to Action News Jax about the night Timm was arrested.
Timm is accused of ramming into a Republican voter registration tent over the weekend.
Timm has lived in Jacksonville for about two years according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, and for 11 months he lived in a home in the East Arlington area.
The homeowner did not want to be identified but described Timm as quiet.
“He’s real quiet kind of a guy, really chilled. I mean one of my better roommates actually I’ve had, so strange. I’m still basically in shock about this.” Timm’s roommate said.
The man said when he got home Saturday night his house was surrounded by police looking for Timm.
“I knocked on his door. I said hey man, the cops are here for you. He’s like tell them I’m not here,” Timm said.
Police arrested Timm and in a newly obtained police report, we found Timm told police he ran over the tent because he did not like Donald Trump.
His roommate said he never talked about politics and claimed to have been in the Navy. He said he is still in disbelief over the accusations against Timm.